Start -> Run -> mstsc  ERROR "unable to open connection file Default.rdp"
Windows Server 2008 Datacenter 64bit.I created a custom remote desktop file earlier this week and ever since when I launch remote desktop using the run command I get an error saying Unable to open connection file - C:\Users\Administrator\Documents\Default.rdpThe connection file exists in the path specified, it isn't hidden or read only, I'm logged in as administrator and I have full control permissions to the file and so does SYSTEM. If I browse to the Default.rdp and double click it I get the same error message.To create the custom remote desktop file I did as follows;Start -> Run -> mstsc -> clicked the Options button ->changed the settings under all the tabs the way I want them -> clicked Save As -> pointed to my desktopThis is more of a nuisance than anything else but I'd like to fix it. Anyone have an idea why I'm getting thise error?Teenage angst has paid of well, now I'm bored and old.
September 5th, 2008 1:10am

Hello, Can you remotely connect to another computer, without this saved RDP file, using the Remote Desktop connection? Would you please try the following steps to see if the problem remains? 1. Create another user, and then log on to the computer with this newly created user account. This is to check whether the problem is caused by user profile corruptions. 2. Click Start, click Run and type mstsc in the dialog box and click OK. 3. Click Options to expand the RDC interface. Type the Computer name that you want to connect to and then click the button "Save As" to save the RDP file to a different location (D:\, for example). Do not make any other changes to the RDP settings at this time. 4. Click Start and click Computer. Then navigate to the location that you saved the RDP file (D:\, for example). Double click this RDP file to see if the problem remains. If the RDP can work this way, well, you can try typing the following command in the Run dialog box to see if it can work either: Mstsc.exe D:\Test.rdp (I am assuming that the RDP file is saved in this location) Besides, have you ever signed the RDP file (e.g. by using rdpsign)? Best regards, Chang Yin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 8th, 2008 3:10pm

I was receiving the same error. Its possible the file may be corrupted.Try to:1) Unhide the file (Default.RDP) in that directory specified by the error.2)Rename it to something else as a backup.3) Open Remote Desktop and hopefully it should no longer complain.4) You may then save your settings and it should save it back as Default.RDP5) You may then remove the file you renamed if working.
June 5th, 2009 5:37pm

I have had a same problem and just tried to delete Default.rdp, whose file size was 0kb for some reason,using command mode. It worked out~!! Good luck
August 28th, 2009 6:49am

cdarkman: Thank you, this info worked perfectly for me as well.
January 25th, 2010 12:02am

Also, I found if you create an empty file with the same name then the error goes away: cd C:\Users\<Username>\Documents echo > Default.RDP Hope that helps someone ---------------------------- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
May 8th, 2010 5:40pm

Hi, cdarkman. I have followed your suggestion and it works well. Actually, the reason of this error is as you said "the Default.RDP file is corrupted". So it is very easy to resolve it using your suggestion. Have a good day.
February 18th, 2011 6:14am

Thanks Dear. It worked for me as well. Regards Abdul Rahuman.M
March 15th, 2011 12:11pm

Hi, Thanx for solution. I renamed Default.RDP to other name then type MSTSC in RUN and press enter which creates new Default.RDP file and now everything works fine. :) Thanx once again.
March 19th, 2011 6:35pm

Delete the RDP connection mostly in would be in C:\Users\user\Documents and run the mstsc command once again this would resolve the issue Thanks and Regards
April 30th, 2011 8:54am

Hi Nilesh, Thanks. It did a trick.
July 7th, 2011 8:43pm

Thanks!! it worked from me also. it created new Default.rdp.
August 4th, 2011 9:17am

Do following can sole this issue 1.Unhide files settings. 2. Find that path the error refer to U. 3. Delete the "Default.rdp" file. Done. Good Luck! Any problem further send me a mail: philix_jiang@hotmail.com Regards, Phoenix
September 24th, 2011 5:32am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics